Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Making a List and Checking it Twice

I was out with my mother the other day running a couple of errands, when she said to me "What else is on our list?' It got me thinking about lists and how important I think they are. According to research, our mind can only remember about nine things to do, so if you've got more than nine things to do, you definitely need a list.

It's not just because I'm getting older that I think lists are so important. I've been making lists my whole life. When my kids were young and I was working full time, I always made a list. How else could I remember play dates, piano lessons, orthodontist appointments and dinner engagements? I usually make a list every night. I go to my calendar and see what I have planned for the next day, then add other items to the list to complete my day.

What is the value of making a list? First, it helps keep me organized so that I can complete all the tasks that I set forth to do in a timely manner. Second, it keeps me from procrastinating. If I put it on the list, I will do it. Third, it helps me make sure that I get everything done that needs doing.

Think about it. Would you like your airline pilot to take off without completing all the tasks on his checklist? When you take your car in for service, the mechanic completes a checklist of items. When I used to plan complicated European vacations for people I would make a check list everyday of the various people I had to call. Any complicated job involves great organization and many, many lists.

Finally, there is great satisfaction in crossing off items on a list. I always feel a sense of completion when I check off each item. As we get older, the need for lists is even greater. It's just a great way to avoid forgetting an engagement. I love keeping a list. It keeps me on track and on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment