Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Let's Give Moroccan Flavors a Try

I am always looking for new flavors and spices in food, and new ideas for old favorites. I was watching a cooking show a few weeks ago, and the cook was making a Moroccan chicken dish. It looked so fantastic I couldn't wait to make it. The only problem was, the recipe called for preserved lemons, which take three weeks to make. So, I am giving you the recipe today for Preserved Lemons, and in about three weeks I will give you a fabulous chicken recipe using the lemons. I have never cooked with preserved lemons before and really don't know what they taste like, but I imagine they're sour and salty. I hope some of you will give it a try.

Preserved Lemons

Take a good sized glass jar and sterilize it. Put 2 Tablespoons of kosher salt in the bottom of the jar. Wash lemons, cut as if quartering them, but do not cut all the way through. Pull them apart to coat the inside of the lemon with kosher salt. Put the lemons in the jar, pushing them down, then cover with lemon juice and top with a little more salt. Close the jar.

Let the lemons sit at room temperature for about three days, then transfer to the refrigerator for three weeks. They're done. Before using, rinse lemons or they'll be too salty. The preserved lemons will keep refrigerated for up to six months. I can wait to taste them, and give you a great recipe using this unusual condiment. Also, you can add cloves, corriander seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks or bay leaves to the jar for a different taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment