Friday, June 25, 2010

The First Day of Summer


Monday, June 21 was the first day of summer, and I was prepared to begin with a bang. I was scheduled to meet my boogie boarding buddies at Fletcher Cove for a morning in the ocean. I awoke to clouds and cool weather. I was ready to cancel, but decided I would at least go down and say hello to everyone.

I love to boogie board, but I hate cold water, so I'm usually in the ocean from around June 1-September 30. I have to have water temperature of 68 degrees or more, otherwise I won't go in. I got to the beach, and just as I arrived, the sun came out. Happy day. The water was only 67 degrees, but with a short wet suit my friends convinced me to just do it. I did, and what a happy morning I had. There is nothing I do that makes me feel young again like boogie boarding. It's exciting to be out in the ocean, challenging to try to catch a wave, rewarding when you catch one and ride it all the way in to shore.

The only other activity I do that gives me the thrill of boogie boarding is skiing, and with my bad knee I can hardly do that anymore. Boogie boarding is great because old bones feel good in the water, even cold water. The ocean is freeing, I feel uninhibited and relaxed. The 20 year old life guards that are watching the beach get a big kick out of us. I can only imagine what they are saying to each other when they see a group of 10-15 women in their 50's, 60's and 70's marching into the ocean. Actually I think they wish their mothers and grandmothers would get there with us.

All in all, it was a great start to summer, and the first of many mornings spent catching a wave. You're never too old to enjoy the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment