Thursday, June 17, 2010

New Eats and Some Old Ones Too

There are two new restaurants opening in North County that I am anxious to try. In Del Mar, Prep Kitchen is opening soon, and in Encinitas, Blue Ribbon Pizza opens on June 18. Both promise to bring a new level of dining to the local scene.

Prep Kitchen comes to us from the crew at Whisknladdle, a highly acclaimed restaurant. They believe the Slow Food Movement, which is a way of living and eating. It is a global grassroots movement that links the pleasure of food and wine with a commitment to community and environment. Prep Kitchen works with local ranchers, farmers and fisherman to provide you with the best possible product in the most conscientious way. The menu they have created looks amazing. Salads like warm white bean and arugula salad, beet, grapefruit and avocado salad, and corn and green bean salad with bacon and carmelized onion salad are needed departures from the standard salad choices.

Sandwiches too, are old classics with a new twist. Chicken salad sandwich with roasted apple, walnuts and mustard, or how about meatloaf melt with onions, gruyere and remoulade. Main courses inclusde everything from half a roast chicken with saffron risotto to Niman Ranch beer braised beef with mashed potatoes. Everything sounds fantastic. I will review it after I actually eat there. For now, my mouth is watering thinking about how I will choose.

Blue Ribbon Artisan Pizza (www.blueribbonpizzeria.com) is opening on June 18. I will be there shortly to check it out, but for now I'll just give you a preview of what to expect. There restaurant is the creation of Wade Hageman, former chef at Blanca in Solana Beach. His concept is to use local, organic ingredients to create wonderful salads and pizza in a casual atmosphere. His menu is exciting.

Salads and starters include fresh burrata with sea salt and organic argula, hand stretched mozzarella with local tomatoes and basil, artisan cheese plate with peperonata and black mission fig mostarda, sweet corn soup with chili oil, and peasant tomato and bread soup with basil oil. Pizzas look home made and include all the basics some with special ingredients like fennel sausage. I'm having lunch there soon, so will review it after I eat there.

Finally, there are two restaurants I want to mention that are NOT new, but I love Vietnamese food and wanted to tell you about them. One is Pho Lucky, a comfortable restaurnt in shopping center in Vista. I have eaten there several times and have always been pleased with the high quality ingredients and friendly service. The other restaurant is Pho Ever, also in Vista. I have not eaten there, but will go there as soon as possible on the recommendation of my friend Alan who knows where to eat, and appreciates good food. If he says it's good, I've got to try it.

So here are are few places for you to try this summer. I have a feeling that restaurants in our area are improving. The first two I talked about have real promise. I'm excited to try them both.

No comments:

Post a Comment