Monday, June 7, 2010

Twentieth Visit to Taft

As I've said before, the highlight of my week is Friday, from around 8:15 until I leave Taft, usually around 1:30. I plan my week so that everything is completed before I leave home so I have a clear mind and am not burdened with things I have to get back for. The first month or so I was exhausted when I returned home Friday night. I needed the weekend to recuperate. That has changed. It's so interesting how the body adjusts. I'm doing the same thing I did in February, but when I get home Friday night I am no more tired than I would be from any other long day. Writing this has made me remember my teaching days. When school would reopen in September, I would come home each day for the first few weeks and wonder how I was going to get up the following morning. But I did, and in a few short weeks my body had adjusted to standing, talking and bending all day and I was fine. The body is a wonderful machine.

Speaking of machines, my car now knows it's way to Taft without me!! I feel like the car is on automatic pilot. It's a little scary sometimes when I've passed landmarks on my way to Taft and don't even remember. It reminds me that I must stay alert and sharp no matter how well I know the route.

I was feeling a little overwhelmed last week. I was feeling that I not only had my own things to attend to (which I have easily gotten used to), but I had so many things to take care of for Ron. He wants newspapers, magazines, information on such and such, could I call this person, could I find out about internet service? Yes, of course I could, but for the first time in months it overwhelmed me. I thought to myself, "Why do I have to do all this, why does Ron want all this? After thinking that I just didn't want to do all this, I realized that I was the only one who could. If he could do it himself, he would. If he wanted it done in three months he wouldn't be asking me to do it now. So I got out my paper and pen and made a list. I'm a big advocate of lists. I listed all the things Ron has asked me to do in preparation for his return (I know it sounds a bit premature) and have taken care of just about everything. I shouldn't be questioning why he wants to know about a phone for the house when he returns. I know the answer. He has lots of time to think about things and when he thinks of them he tells me and wants to get answers.

I totally get it. I was not being sensitive to the fact that he is inside, I am outside, and I am the one that can gather information and make phone calls. He can only think of what needs to be done. I have to do it. I'm fine with all this. I'm over the feeling I had that I was being asked to do too much. I'm not. I can handle ANYTHING and will, happily, so long as there's always Friday to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment