Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cleaning Up For the New Year

I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions. Maybe that's because I knew I could never stick to them and I would look at that as a failure. This year is really no different. I have not made any firm resolutions, but I have resolved to start the year with finances in order and the kitchen in order. So Sunday, January 2, 2011 was spent making sure these two things happen.

For the first time in my married life I have been in charge of paying bills, budgeting and record keeping. For all of you who've been doing it for years it's old hat, but for me there was lots to learn. I have to say I've done a pretty good job, with just one little goof all year. I think that's pretty good. So now it's the end of the year and I am filing all my stuff from 2010 away and starting new files for bills, medical, etc. I'm getting pretty good at it, but the job will still go to Ron when he returns. That's one of the perks of being married to an accountant.

The rest of Sunday was spent removing all food from my kitchen that shouldn't have been there in the first place. Gingerbread, muffins, holiday cookies and candy are all gone. I have a hard time throwing things out. My mother taught me that was wasteful, but if I keep it around it will only go to my waist! I went to Henry's and bought a shopping cart full of fruits and vegetables and came home and spent the afternoon cooking. I made a delicious butternut squash soup, vegetable soup and marinara sauce. I have a few weeks worth of delicious, healthy meals that will help keep me on track.

I didn't make a resolution to lose X number of pounds this year, but I did resolve to eat healthy. That is something I can successfully do, and at the same time lose weight.

So the cupboards are bare, the files are empty and I'm ready for 2011. It's going to be a great year. Happy New Year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment