Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Hungry Girl Is Now On The Food Network

Several months ago my friend Linda introduced me to the Hungry Girl blog. It gave its readers food tips, diet tips, and product tips. She told me about it because they featured Evol Burritos on the blog, and she thought I might want to know. Evol is my son Phil's food company. I can't say burrito company any more because they make other products, like their just released bowls, four varieties of deliciousness, that are available at Whole Foods right now, and in April they will be nationwide.

Hungry Girl is now a weekly show on the Food Network. It is on Saturday afternoon, not exactly prime time, but I caught an episode last week and had to get pencil and paper to write down the many tips and recipes host Lisa gave the audience. I loved the show, and as soon as it was over, I made one of her recipes. What I made was kale chips. It just so happened I had a bunch of kale in the house, and it was so easy to make, so delicious to eat, and so healthy, I couldn't believe it.

Kale Chips

Kale, with stalks removed, broken into chip size pieces and patted dry
Olive oil spray
Salt

Place kale on a cookie sheet. Spray with olive oil spray to moisten, then sprinkle with kosher salt. Cook at 425 degrees for about 5 minutes. What you have is a crispy, crunchy, salty, low calorie snack. I don't know if it saves well or not, but it sure is good just out of the oven.

Another thing Lisa does that I found helpful is she goes through the supermarket and swaps a high calorie food for a low calorie food. She gives you so many tips you're taking notes throughout the entire show. I'm sure all the recipes are on the food network web site, but I don't know if her tips are there too. She had many recipes in the 30 minute show, but here's one more that I tried and can recommend.

Brownie Muffins

1 box of devils food cake mix
1 15 ounce can of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)

Mix ingredients together, use a small scooper to put mixture in foil lined muffin tins. Cook 20 minutes at 400 degrees. You'll have a wonderful tasting brownie muffin at about 175 calories, without all the fat of a regular muffin or cake. Lisa says she uses pumpkin in baking to replace oil, eggs and butter. Delicious.

This show is definitely one of my new favorites. If you're into cooking, watching your weight, and eating healthy, check out Hungry Girl on the Food Network. Stay Hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment