Monday, April 18, 2011

Sixty Sixth Visit to Taft

Things are moving right along. This past week Ron continued with his pre release class. It is getting him to think about the past and the future, something he's done a lot of in the past 16 months. He has to make a plan for the future and show the instructor what he plans to do and how he plans to do it. Ron has always been a planner, so this is something he's already given a great deal of thought to. I guess reviewing his ideas in his mind, and on paper, is a good thing.

Ron also went on a field trip. He and several other soon to be released Taft inmates, went to the DMV to get a copy of their driving records. I still can't figure this one out. How could his driving record have changed in the past 16 months? He hasn't driven! Anyway, he needs to get his driving record to show to the halfway house, otherwise he is not allowed to drive. He had to pay $10.96 for his day at the DMV. $5 was paid to the DMV for the report, and $5.96 was paid to Taft for gas to get to the DMV.

I've been having trouble sleeping lately, and I think it's because I'm excited about Ron coming home. I will wake up at 4:30am and never get back to sleep. I find myself thinking about our first day together again. I also think about the fact that we both have changed during this time, and how that will effect our relationship. I don't know.

We had a wonderful visit as we always do. Ron has started telling me stories about some of the people he has met at Taft and some of the experiences he has had. I keep telling him he should write a book. He says no, but he may want to start writing on this blog from time to time. He's got so many fascinating things that he will soon be able to share. I'm looking forward to that, as he definitely has not told me everything.

One interesting thing that came up in our Friday conversation was the anger that we both seem to be feeling as the end of his confinement nears. His anger is different than mine. He feels angry about the time that has been wasted and he finds he doesn't have the patience with people that he had before. My anger more about the system. I try not to focus on comparing Ron's case to other similar cases, but you can't help it. The justice system is just not equally just or injust for everyone. I've always known it, but when you have a loved one incarcered you can't help but compare cases and sentences. It angers me and I have to find a way to move on from this.

On Wednesday it will be 98 days until Ron's release, so my final countdown begins. Time is moving quickly, and for that I am grateful. I hope that years from now I will look back on this experience and realize that in the total picture of our life together, this has been just a small setback, and one that preceded our best years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment