Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Flo's Good Lemon Bars


Named after my mom's friend Florence, the following recipe for lemon bars is the best I've ever had. Our family has been making them for at least 30 years, and I have yet to taste a better lemon bar. Better yet, they're easy to make. I think the difference between these bars and others I've tasted is in the crust. This crust has powdered sugar in it, which is unusual. I hope you like them as much as I do.

Flo's Good Lemon Bars

Crust

1 c. butter (cool)
2 c. flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Butter will crumble like little peas, then press dough into a 9inch X13inch baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees

Filling

4 eggs
2 c. sugar
6 T. lemon juice
2 T flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
zest of at least 1 lemon (depending on your taste. I like a lot, maybe 2 T of zest)

Beat above ingredients and pour into half baked crust. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees. Check to make sure the crust doesn't start to burn.

When bars are completely cool, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into squares. I usually freeze them in a cookie tin, layering with wax paper so they don't stick. They'll last for ages...

No comments:

Post a Comment