Thursday, July 7, 2011

Marshmallow Heaven



Thank you Marcia, for sending me the heavenly recipe for homemade marshmallows. I debated as to whether to make them or not. It seemed like a lot of work for something that I could buy so cheaply. But curiousity got the best of me, and on a recent Saturday afternoon, I made them. I was not disappointed. They were spectacular. I took the batch to a boat party the following day, and everyone raved about them. They were good, but I'm not sure I will make them again anytime soon. They're quite a bit of work.

I'll tell you one funny thing that happened while I was making them if you promise not to laugh. You too will get old and forgetful someday. It's important to let the marshmallows dry, uncovered, overnight, or they will be a gooey mess. Well, I have had a rat problem in my house from time to time, so I never leave anything out. So I put the tray of marshmallows on top of the TV in the living room. I decided to take a picture of them for this blog, so I put the tray on the dining room table, took the picture, and left them there overnight. The next morning I went looking for the marshmallows and could not find them anywhere. I absolutely could not remember where I had put them. I was completely baffled and thought I had lost my mind. If you knew how small my house is you would wonder how this was possible. I was looking in the bathroom, laundry room, everywhere. Finally, I just happened to walk by the dining room table, and there they were, right where I left them. Oh, the wonders of getting old.

Homemade Marshmallows with Coconut

Ingredients

7 ounces sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (on baking sheet in over until just toasted)
1 recipe Homemade Marshmallow batter, recipe follows
Confectioners' sugar

Directions

Sprinkle half the toasted coconut in an 8X12 pyrex pan. Pour in the marshmallow batter and smooth batter with wet hands. Sprinkle on the remaining toasted coconut. Let dry overnight, uncovered, at room temperature. Remove the marshmallows after cutting into squares. Roll the sides of each piece in confectioners' sugar (in case they weren't sweet enought!). Store uncovered at room temperature.

Marshmallow batter

3 packs unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Combine the gelatin and 1/2 cup cold water in a bowl and allow to sit and dissolve while you make the syrup

Meanwhile, combine the sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/2 cup water in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Raise the heat to high and cook until the syrup reaches 240 degrees on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat.

With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Put the mixer on high speed and whip until the mixture is very thick, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and mix thoroughly.

I'ts quite a lot of fuss to make these, but you'll get raves. They really are delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment