Monday, July 4, 2011

Seventy Seventh Visit to Taft

With the long 4th of July weekend beginning early, the freeway was crowded on Friday morning, and I smiled thinking that I would only make this trip a few more times. A new month means lots of visitors, and the room was packed with families on Friday. To my surprise, the long awaited coffee maker had finally arrived. I was so surprised I didn't even notice it until Ron pointed it out to me. So I guess I lost the bet I made with myself. I didn't think the coffee maker would arrive before Ron's release, but I was wrong. I had a very nice cup of cappuccino for 75 cents.

Ron is a planner, and wants to know what's in store for him next, so he's a little upset that they haven't sent him the halfway house book of rules. That is supposed to be sent to men ready for release 4 weeks in advance, but so far, nothing. I called the halfway house and asked lots of questions. They're going to be sick of Ron before he even arrives. No outside food is allowed, but they do have vending machines. He'll get the rest of the rules on July 27, and hopefully be home by July 29.

Restaurants. We made a list of all the place Ron wants to eat when he gets home. I must have 30 places on the list, including, Phil's, Brett's, Claim Jumper, Nucci's, Union Tap, Fleming's, Wahoo's (one of my favorites), Phong Trang and Ponte Vecchio. One by one we'll get to them all.

What will Ron miss when he leaves Taft? A few good friendships, men he has learned to love and respect, who feel the same about him. He tells me that there are many men at Taft that seek out his advice on personal matters. He's like the old Grandpa to many of the young kids, with lots of life experience He likes that role, loves helping men who are having a hard time solving problems. There are several men there that he respects greatly and they feel the same for him. He will miss them. I asked him if he would miss the lack of accountability and responsibility that he has there. His answer was a definite "No." He looks forward to getting back to paying bills, taking care of household needs and working. He has never shied away from responsibility or accountability.

The night before I pick up Ron I planned to stay at a local motel, just a few minutes from Taft, but seeing the motel Friday changed my mind. Since I will pick him up at 7am I thought being nearby would save me some driving, but this place is a dump. I will either stay at a better place a little further away, or spend the night with Linda and Rod in Bakersfield. I love being with them, but I have a feeling I will not be great company the night before picking Ron up. I will be focused on the next day.

I said goodbye to a few of Ron's friends today, as they will not be in the visiting room anymore this month. They all seem sad to see him go, a little jealous, but happy that his last day will soon be here.

1 comment:

  1. And Susie we love having you here...not to worry about being good company, we don't expect you to entertain us ...you can head straight to your room after dinner if you like, LOL. Trust us, we understand!!

    Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete