Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pain Tolerance and Aging


A few weeks ago I went for an MRI on my left knee. This was the third MRI I have had on my knee in less than three years. I've been complaining for years about the pain in my knee, yet with physical therapy, injections and massage, it is not any better. The doctors keep telling me I have arthritis (just like everyone else my age), yet I know this pain is something more. Finally, the films discovered a complex radial tear of the meniscus with several other issues. The doctor feels confident that I will will feel 60%-90% better with surgery, so I'm going to do it. I was telling Fran about the surgery because I walk with her often, and she said she thinks I have a high pain tolerance. This got me thinking, do I really have a high pain tolerance?

I found out some interesting statistics. Men have a higher pain tolerance than women. Whites have a higher pain tolerance than either Blacks or Asians. The most interesting statistic was that as we age, our pain tolerance decreases. What you might have tolerated well at age 40 may hurt like hell at age 70. Then there's the drama queen factor. Some of us are stoic, smile and just keep on going. Others complain about everything and focus only on our pain. So it's hard to know if the drama queen really has more pain than the silent sufferer.

I told my doctor that I have pretty good genes. My dad lived to 93, my mom is almost 88 and in good health, so I plan to be around for awhile. I don't like the fact that I'm in constant pain, and even though I don't complain, I still hurt. There's only so much one can tolerate and I don't want to get into taking massive amounts of Aleve. (although it really does help). So surgery it will be. I don't intend to give up golf, yoga, aerobics, walking or boogie boarding anytime soon, and I have confidence that Dr. Padilla will lessen my pain.

Aging is a difficult process, certainly not without a lot of aches and pains. I think the key to living well into your 80's and 90's and maintaing an active life style, is to realize what is doable for you. I know that I'll never do another step class, although that used to be one of my favorite activites. Low impact aerobics and walking have replaced step. I'm modifying my activity as I age. It's sometimes tough to accept that we can't do the things we once could, but I'm inspired everyday when I go to the Y and see 90+ aged men and women swimming, walking on the treadmill and working with weights. Every decade of life has something new to offer, some good and some bad. It's too bad we can't physically do what we once could, but there's so much that we still can do. I try to look at the positive, and I know that removing the pain from my left knee/leg will enhance my workouts and keep me active. That's so important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment