Monday, November 21, 2011

KISS


One of my favorite phrases, KISS means "Keep it simple, stupid." This phrase can be applied to many situations, but now I'm referring to keeping my cooking simple. There are days when we just don't feel like fussing with dinner. On those days, I keep a bag of microwavable Green Giant whole potatoes in the freezer. They come in several varieties, all of them good, but my favorite is the cheese sauce potatoes.

The potatoes are not cooked and packaged in a ton of sugar and salt, so they're pretty healthy. Just microwave for 5 minutes, add a few of your own touches or nothing at all, and you have a wonderful side dish. Just pick up a rotisserie chicken, add a salad and you have a delicious, healthy meal in 15 minutes. Here are a few ways to spruce up the microwaved potatoes and make them just a little more "homemade."

Green Giant Whole Potatoes (microwavable)

Cook the packaged potatoes according to directions and add any or all of the following toppings to make your potatoes the star of the meal:

bacon bits
chives
scallions
chopped tomatoes
chopped olives
sour cream

These are the toppings that I love with potatoes, but if something else appeals to you, try it. I love these potatoes and their convenience. I think you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment