Friday, November 18, 2011

What To Do On A Rainy Day


On a recent rainy Saturday, I headed over to the Y for my 8am spin class. This is the class where the instructor shows a video of one of the states and teaches us all sorts of facts about the state to keep us distracted. North Carolina was the state of the day, and the fact I liked learning about most was that they have wild horses on some of the beaches. Tom, the instructor, had pictures of these horses running through the surf. What a beautiful sight. Anyway, back to a rainy Saturday. I arrived about 15 minutes early and was lucky to get a bike. Within a few minutes of my arrival all the bikes were taken, and at least 15 people came to spin and were turned away. The early bird gets the worm.

Why were so many people at the Y on a rainy Saturday? I thought rainy, gloomy days meant people stayed home, read, did housework, or slept. Many of these men and women are bikers, so when they couldn't bike outside, they took it inside.

A few hours later, I returned to the Y for a yoga class. Again, the room with packed with yogis and yoginis, all looking for a peaceful way to spend a rainy afternoon.

My final activity of the day was a few hours at the movies. I knew this would be a well attended activity on a rainy day. We went to an early show to avoid getting shut out. Lucky we did, too. Everyone else had the same idea.

Californians aren't used to rain, just a small amount of rain makes some Californians crazy. I always laugh when newscasters say they're on "storm watch", when all we've got is a nice gentle rain.

Rainy Day Activities

1. Movies
2. Indoor exercise at the gym
3. Yoga at a yoga studio
4. Visit the library
5. Visit a museum
6. Go to an indoor shopping mall
7. Clean your house
8. Make all those calls you've been putting off

I remember when my kids were young and we always had a list of activites to keep us busy on a rainy day. Well, we need them to. If you've got anything to add to my list, let me know. I think we're going to have a rainy winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment