Thursday, November 10, 2011

Urban Plates: My New Favorite Place


Last year I wrote about Tender Greens, a wonderful healthy restaurant for lunch and dinner in Liberty Station. I still love the place and go there often at one of their several LA locations, but look out, here comes Urban Plates.

Located in the newly remodeled shopping center at El Camino Real and Del Mar Heights Rd, Urban Plates is THE place to go for delicious, healthy and moderately priced food. I could eat there every night of the week and have something different. Fran and I went there for lunch recently, I came home and raved about it, so much so, that Ron and I went back for dinner that same night. Now he's raving about it too.

First of all, the prices. Everything is $10. Saladas, sandwiches, plates, bowls, all $10. For lunch I had the grilled ahi nicoise. Lettuce blend, hard boiled egg, green beans, fingerling potatoes, capers, olives, and three big slices of perfectly prepared seared rare ahi tuna. It was served with a large slice of grilled foccacia bread. Fran had the desert bbq chicken. Romaine lettuce, chicken, corn, black beans , onion, avocado, grilled onions, jack cheese, tortilla strips, and red bell pepper. It too was wonderful.

Urban Plates also offers large sandwiches, like turkey, steak, meatloaf, chicken and vegetables, on ciabatta bread, served with one of their many hot or cold sides.

At night Ron and I both went for the grilled steak plate. 4 large slices of perfectly grilled flank steak and two sides. I had the fingerling potatoes and grilled squash. Ron had the homemade potato chips and green beans.

Don't stop at the main course. Urban Plates has wonderful desserts, at a minimal price. Fran and I split a huge ginger molasses cookie for lunch. It was soft and chewy, and topped off an already excellent meal. The cost of the cookie was $2. They also have individual banana cream pie, coconut cake and red velvet cupcakes, all around $5.

Urban Plates has a front patio and a back patio, so bring your dog and sit outside. Inside there is plenty of seating, including a large table for singles to sit at if they don't feel like eating alone. It's a friendly place, the help is great, and the menu so extensive that you'll have to go back again and again to try everything. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment