Tuesday, May 1, 2012

More Food From Expo 2012

The frozen food section of supermarkets is bursting with new flavors. Chinese, Indian, and Mexican entrees dominated the food show. Aside from Evol's many varieties of burritos, both in size and fillings, they also make bowls, wraps, flatbreads, and pizza. I love all their products. I'm partial to the burritos but I also keep the bowls on hand for an easy meal. They're available at Sprouts, Whole Foods and hundreds of other markets. Check their website www.evolfoods.com to find the store nearest you.

Indian food was everywhere this year. I liked Tandoor Chef, with many frozen entrees available. I'm not a great fan of Indian cuisine, but some of the chicken dishes were really delicious.

I love Chinese food. A new product to me was Green Chopsticks. They have a beef bulgogi bowl (fabulous) and several varieties of potstickers. This is a great product. You'll think you're in a fine Chinese restaurant. Their products are available at Bristol Farms and Jimbos, and I'm pretty sure I saw them at Costco last week. Try them. Annie Chun has been around a long time, and this year I tried their wonton soup. Delicious. They also make frozen potstickers but I did not get to try them. Annie Chun can be found in most major markets.

I'm going to finish up my review of the food show with a few odds and ends, random items I liked. Buja, is a cracker mix with Indian spices made from chick peas. Unusual and delicious. Sea Noodles are a fantastic option for those that like pasta without the calories. They're made from kelp, and can be served hot or cold. I tasted a crunchy Asian salad with a sesame dressing and the sea noodles. You can also serve them hot with your favorite Italian sauce. Amande is a cultured almond yogurt which I enjoyed very much. Michael Seasons makes a popped snack from black beans. It was good and salty and loaded with protein. Yesto makes several skin creams from fruits like cucumber, strawberry and watermelon. I loved the cool refreshing feel and smell of the cucumber cream. Florida's Natural makes organic fruit nuggets, kind of chewy like gummy bears. They're available at Whole Foods.

Green toys are something I found a wonderful addition to the show. It's great to see trucks and cars made from recycled products that are sturdy, functional and made in America. Many other products like cooking bowls and utensils made from recycled products were seen at the show. They're a little pricier than the things we normally buy, but they are great looking and environmentally good. The final item I must tell you about is HydroFlask. It looks like your typical water bottle, but this bottle keeps cold drinks cold for 24 hours and hot liquids hot for 12 hours. They have bottles and food flasks in many sizes and shapes, and I'm going to get one. Go to www.hydroflask.com. I'm guessing they sell them at Whole Foods.

This is all for this year from the Natural Food Expo 2012. I hope you have an opportunity to try some of these new products over the next few months. I love going to the show and seeing what's new, then sharing that information with you. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment