Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chayo's Famous Chicken

Chayo is the wonderful woman who lives with my mom, helps her clean and cook, keeps her company and in general looks after her. She is such a special person. I have known her for 19 years. She came to work for me when Phil was 15 years old, and has been a part of our family ever since. When she lived with me she did very little cooking, but since she's been with my mom, she's become a great cook, even cooking for my mom's dinner parties. One of her best dishes is the chicken recipe below, which will become a favorite in your house too.

Chayo's Famous Chicken

1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, sliced
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup barbeque sauce
1 T. honey
1/2 cup dried apricots, cut in half
1 red pepper, chopped (optional)

Season chicken pieces with salt and pepper, and brown in skillet coated with a little oil. Remove chicken pieces, add chopped garlic and onions, and cook for a few minutes. Then add the rest of the ingredient and mix well. Add the chicken back in, cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is tender.

Serve over rice, small pasta or couscous. I think you'll enjoy this, and the leftovers are great the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment