Monday, December 31, 2012

A Perfect New Year's Eve

I've never been much of a party girl, and New Year's Eve especially, was never my thing. Get all dressed up in something uncomfortable, go out and spend a lot of money on a dinner that's not so good, and probably drink way too much. I'd rather stay home. Ever since David was born, New Year's Eve has been a stay at home event for us. When our children were young, we gave our housekeeper/nanny the week off between Christmas and New Year's, so we decided that staying home would be best for us. We might invite another couple over, have a great dinner and some champagne, and wrap up the evening by 11pm. We've been doing this for almost 40 years. So what's my idea of a perfect New Year's Eve now, that I don't have any children to care for and we can do what we want? My choice is to be home, just the two of us,(as we have been for the last 40 years), for a wonderful home made dinner, a nice bottle of wine, and a movie. That's what we'll do this year. Now all I have to do is prepare the meal, which I enjoy doing anyway. Here's what we're having: gravlax and dill sauce (appetizer), simple salad with vinegrette dressing, barbequed lamb chops, sauteed kale and mushrooms over brown rice, and a nice bottle of Malbec wine. Dessert will be gingerbread. Yum. I'm hungry already. To all of you, celebrate in whatever way is best for you, but be careful out on the road. There are so many crazys. I was discussing New Year's Eve with one of my kids, and we determined that once you have a wife and/or family, you're partying days on December 31 are over. Everyone just wants to stay home and enjoy some quiet time with family and a few friends. My kids that used tolove to party, now want to stay home. Funny, when you've got what you want right beside you, there's no need to go out looking. I've got Ron right here. Why would I want to go anywhere else?

No comments:

Post a Comment