Friday, December 7, 2012

Homemade Gifts For The Holidays Or Anytime

I was coming out of the Dollar Store last week, when I noticed a woman who had just bought about a dozen plastic holiday jars with tight fitting lids. I thought to myself that those jars would be great for some homemade holiday gifts, or gifts anytime of year. I went back the next day and bought a few jars. Here's what I'm doing with the jars. I'm making two different homemade gifts for giving. Hairdresser, manicurist, mailman, or anyone you want to remember will appreciate a homemade gift. I am making scented bath salts and sugar scrubs and chai tea (just add water). Here are the recipes for both. Peppermint Bath Salts or Sugar Scrub 1 cup Epsom salts or sugar 1 T. olive oil few drops of essential oil-peppermint for this batch food coloring In a bowl, mix salt or sugar with oil, to moisten. Add scent and food coloring, and mix until completely blended. Package in airtight containers. Other scents that work well are lemon or orange, eucalyptus and pine. The jars I bought are plastic, which makes them super safe to use in the bath. Chai Latte 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder 1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer 1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer 2 1/2 cups white sugar 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea (regular or decaf) 2 teaspoons ground ginger 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 teaspoon allspice 1/4 teaspoon white pepper Yes, I know it sounds very sweet, but it's just right. Use about 2 heaping tablespoons per cup of hot water. No, this is not a low fat version. Package in jars for easy giftgiving. Other ideas for how to fill the plastic jars include bean soup ingredients, mixed nuts, hot chocolate mix, spiced or sugared pecans, licorice, potpourri, terrarium, granola or trail mix, or seasoning mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment