Monday, July 28, 2014

Post Op: Day 17

Today is Jul 26, 17 days since I received my partial knee replacement.  There have been ups and downs, but fortunately no real setbacks.  Norco 10 is the pain killer that was prescribed for me.  It's a combination of Vicadin and Tylenol.  Almost from the beginning I hated taking painkillers.  It inhibits your ability to think, to follow a conversation, it makes you so sleepy.  For me, the pain was better than the feeling I got from the painkillers, so I cut them out, except for one at night to help me get to sleep.  I can't lie.  I had quite a bit of pain on many days, but at least I could drive a car and go out for lunch without falling asleep.

Scripps Home Health has been with me every step of the way.  They have been outstanding.  I have a case worker, who oversees my general health, PT, and Coumidin treatment.  Twice a week I have a nurse come to the house to check my health and take a blood sample.  Coumidin is a blood thinner which Dr. Bugbee prescribes for a month after surgery, to cut down on the possibility of blood clots.  Your blood levels are tested 2-3 times a week, and medication is modified depending upon your numbers.  I have been 2.1-2.4 which is perfect.  They want your numbers at 2.0-3.0.  Scripps Home Health also arranges for in home Pt.  My therapist is Nancie, and unfortunately Monday will be my last day with her.  She says I am free to go, get back to regular workouts (with modifications) and continue my stretching and strengthening.  As much as I've enjoyed seeing her 3x a week, I will be happy to end all the medical personnel comings and goings.

Pain.  There are times when I feel no pain (about an hour after the pain meds kick in), but for the rest of the time I feel constant "surgery pain."  It's not the pain I felt before surgery, but one I attribute to the trauma to my body.  I know that it's just a matter of time before it goes away, and my nighttime need for Norco 10 will go away too.

I never needed a walker or a cane.  Actually, I did use the cane for a few days, just to make sure I didn't get bumped.  My balance was good from the beginning, and I felt confident I would not fall.  I have been walking daily since I came home, probably the equivalent of about 4 times around the block, per day.  By the end of the day I'm tired, and Ron takes over walking Pepper.  I started back at the Y on day 10, and have been there everyday since.  I started with 5 minutes on the bicycle, adding a minute or two each day, and am now up to 18 minutes.  I can't wait to get back to my spin classes.  I do chair barre classes and aerobic and weight training with the help of a chair.  As soon as my incision is fully healed, I will get back in the pool.  Just kicking on a kickboard is great exercise.

Today I am meeting Fran at the Lumberyard for our first official Saturday morning walk since my surgery.  We are going to do a slow, very abbreviated version of what we used to do.  We plan to walk for just 20 minutes.  I will do what feels right, and will NOT overdo it.

Knee replacement has not been what I thought it would be.  I was prepared for the worst, as that seems to be what everyone told me about.  Everyone's experience is so different.  There is no NORMAL.  I hear stories everyday from the PT that surprise me.  A lady just had the surgery and it turns out she's allergic to the glue they used to close her incision.  They are going back in to redo it.  My roommate Kathy became allergic to one of the drugs she was taking and broke out in a terrible rash.  Another woman I know had extreme swelling in her knee, leg and ankle.  Oh, the things that can happen.  I consider myself very lucky to have come through this so easily (so far).  I think that my good physical condition before surgery had something to do with it.  There's no medical evidence that proves this, but I think it is true.  If you're having this, or any orthoaepedic surgery, get yourself in shape.  Your body will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment