Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Treating Burns

I've never been exactly sure of how to treat a burn. I used to think that you should put butter on the burn. Then I was told not to do that, but to rinse the burn with cold water and put ice on it. Recently I was given some information on another way to treat a burn, which actually makes sense. In fact, this is what they are teaching future firefighters in the classroom. Take a look at this treatment.

Keep in mind this treatment of burns is being included in teaching beginner firemen. First Aid consists of first spraying cold water on the affected area until the heat is reduced which stops the continued burning of all layers of the skin. Then, spread egg whites onto the affected area. One woman burned a large part of her hand with boiling water. In spite of the pain, she ran cold faucet water on her hand, separated 2 egg whites from the yolks, beat them slightly and dipped her hand in the solution. The whites then dried and formed a protective layer.

It turns out that egg white is a natural collagen and the egg white forms a protective layer over the burned area. The woman who burned her hand with boiling water continued to apply layer upon layer of beaten egg white over the next hour, and by afternoon she felt no pain and the next day there was hardly a trace of the burn. In ten days the burned area was totally regenerated due to the egg whites. This makes perfect sense to me, and will definitely try it next time I burn myself. I wonder if this is a new treatment, or an old one that I never heard about.

No comments:

Post a Comment