Friday, July 18, 2014

Surgery: Seven Days Post Op

It is Tuesday afternoon, July 15.  It has been seven days since my partial knee replacement, and I'm doing very well.  One thing I have learned throughout this ordeal is that you can't compare yourself any other person.  Everyone heals differently and handles pain differently.  I am happy to report that most of the stories I heard before surgery did not apply to me.

Here's a brief update of my progress.  I came home on July 11.  On July 12 I put the walker away, finding it was in the way more than helping me.  I have a can that I take with me on walks for added stability, and to ward away anyone who might bump me.  When people see you coming with a cane, they take extra care to be nice.  Ron and I went to Starbucks this morning, and doors were held open for me, something that wouldn't happen without the cane.  I have kept the ice on my knee as much as possible, probably 6-7 times per day.  I always ice after PT or a long walk.  (around the block is a long walk).  I rest as often as I need to, which is pretty often.  I take a more nap and an afternoon nap (or rest), then go to sleep around 10pm.  I do find myself pretty tired, and I listen to my body and rest.  I am taking Norco 10 for pain.  It's a combination of vicadin and Tylenol, and was prescribed every 3-4 hours.  Since my goal is to get off the meds as soon as possible so I can drive, I only take Norco 10 when I really need it.  Everyone always says "Stay ahead of the pain,"  which means to keep taking the meds even if you don't have pain, because once you have it you will have difficulty getting rid of it.  I have not found this to be the case.  My last pain pill was at 10pm last night, and I plan to take another just before bed tonight.

I walk around the block several times each day, do all my PT exercises twice, and do almost everything around the house.  My philosophy is that the more I do, the faster my recovery will be.

Today I had two visitors and went out for lunch.  I was tired at 2pm and took a one hour nap.  I find my mind wandering right now as I try to write this, so I know the anesthesia and pain meds are still in my system.

If you're having a total or partial knee replacement, listen to your body.  Everyone handles pain differently.  Pain to you may not be pain to me.  Some people are on walkers for months after surgery, others just a few days or weeks.  There is no "average" amount of time your recovery will take.  I just hope that you listen to your body and do what you can.  Don't use this time to get sympathy, although a little TLC is nice.  I hope you have as positive an experience as I had.  I've got visitors for the next few days, and by Saturday I plan to be driving.  If you're on the 5 on Saturday morning, look for me.  I'll be on my way to the Y to meet friends for coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment