Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Cauliflower Muffins

I recently discovered a new web site that I now find myself going to again and again.  It's www.ornabakes.com.
  Orna is a former Weight Watcher leader and fabulous cook.  I just love her recipes.  She gives you some unique weight watcher recipes, gives the points value, and all the nutritional values.  When I first saw the recipe for cauliflower muffins I thought to myself, "How can these be any good?"  but when I made them I changed my tune.  At just one point for two mini muffins, you can eat a number of them and still stay on the program.  I made them one night for dinner, gave a few away to my weight watcher neighbors, and froze the rest.  Orna's recipe makes 32 of the little muffins, which I will do next time, but since this was an experiment that I wasn't sure would work, I cut the recipe in half.  Below is the recipe I made, with a slight variation.  It made 16 mini muffins.

                                             Cauliflower Muffins

1 12 ounce bag of cauliflower florets
1 egg, plus 2 T. egg whites
1/2 c. low fat cottage cheese (non fat will probably work too)
1/2 c. parmesean cheese
3-4 tsp. Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, or Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp salt
4 grinds of pepper

Pulse raw cauliflower in blender until it's the consistency of rice.  Do this in small batches.  Then, cook in microwave, uncovered, without water, for 8 minutes.  In the meantime, mix together all other ingredients, then add the cauliflower.  Your batter is ready.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray.  Fill each cup to the top, patting down the batter a bit.  These muffins do not rise.  Cook for 20-30 minutes, and check the bottom of one muffin to make sure they are cooked through.  I cooked mine for 20 minutes and they were perfect.  Remove, allow to cool a bit, and remove.  They are best when eaten slightly warm, and can easily be frozen and reheated.  My neighbor Arthur thought they tastes like quiche.  Well, maybe a little bit.  But they were a nice accompaniement to our meal of boneless short ribs and Asian slaw.  Delicious,  Weight Watchers dinner.  I love the muffins, and could eat them any time, even breakfast with some scrambled eggs.  They are 29 calories each, so you can have 4 of them for the same calories as a slice of toast!  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment