Friday, April 3, 2015

Dealing With The DMV

I recently turned 70.  That means that the DMV wants you to come in and take the written test and check your vision.  The thought of going to the DMV puts fear into most of us, including me.  Thank goodness for appointments.  I made mine, and immediately started studying for the written test.  I don't know why I was so concerned about passing it, but I was.  I read the book twice and took all the practice tests.  I know what the fine is for leaving a dead animal on the side of the road, and I know how many days you have to report an accident.  There's so much information in the book that's not even related to driving  a car.  I wonder who makes up the tests.  Anyway, after about a 40 minute wait with an appointment, I took the test and passed, had my vision checked, changed my address, and was told my license would be sent to me within the next 2-3 weeks.  That did not happen, so I became suspicious that something had gone wrong

Something had definitely gone wrong.  After 5 weeks I still had not received my new license, and I was thinking I may have something to do with my change of address.  No, that was not it.  After several phone calls to the DMV, I finally got  a very helpful technician that tracked down the problem.  There was a malfunction in their program, and my license was sitting in "pending" mode.  First they told me to call a number in Sacramento, but after days of unsuccessful attempts to reach them I called back the DMV and spoke to a technician that really helped.  She called the local DMV and got me an appointment for next week.  (the online DMV site's first availability was May).  I need to go in and straighten this out.  It should be a simple matter once I get there.  As much as we love our electronic toys and need our computers, things do go wrong.  Had I not had the help of a caring employee at the DMV I may have been in limbo for months!  As it turns out, I should have my new license next week, but not without a lot of stress.  Why should this cause me so much stress?  I don't know, but it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment