Monday, April 13, 2015

First Impressions Of Ocean Hills

We moved into Ocean Hills on March 11, so we've been just one month.  We'd been thinking about this move for quite a while.  Ron was ready for it.  I wasn't so sure.  It took a while for me to come around.  I had a million reasons why I didn't want to move there, but over time it became more and more attractive.  My biggest resistance was the location (the only thing that won't change), but I decided the positives outweighed the negatives, so here we are.

For those who don't know, Ocean Hills is a 55+ community of 1632 homes in Oceanside, near Melrose and Cannon.  It looks like a Greek village, with white washed homes, rolling hills of grass on the 18 hole executive course, beautiful landscaping.  Did I mention that it's quiet?   IT'S QUIET!  I take Pepper out for a short walk around 8pm and there's usually not a sole on the street, walking or driving.  Ron is sleeping better than he ever has.

My first impression of Ocean Hills is how friendly the people are.  There's not a grouch in the community.  Even before we moved in, neighbors were coming over to introduce themselves.  As I walk the loop around Ocean Hills most every morning everyone smiles and waves.  They may not know you, but they smile and say hello.  Next, many people are very active.  I went on a 5 mile hike yesterday with about 25 members of the community, with ages ranging from 60-85.  Everyone is busy.  This morning as I walked the loop I came upon two walkers and a wheel chair walker.  Even though the man could no longer walk, he was out in the fresh air in his electric wheelchair, walking with friends.  I thought to myself, "This is great."  I have also noticed a willingness by new residents to get involved.  There is so much to do here that if you're bored, it's your own fault.  A weekly schedule is published each week, which includes some of the following:  yoga, zumba, sit and get fit exercise, tap dance class, ballet class, line dancing, square dancing, ballroom dancing, golf, water aerobics, pickle ball, tennis, bocce, hiking, woodworking shop, bead making class, art class, sailing club and photography club.  This is just a portion of what is available!  It's like a cruise on land.  I am trying out various activities to see what I like and don't like, and to meet as many people as possible and see where I fit in.  I'm not sure where I fit yet.

Yes, there are some negatives.  As I said before, location has always been an issue for me.  It is 18 minutes north east of our old house in Carlsbad.  That means that I must add 20 minutes to most of the things I used to do and places I used to go.  I love the Encinitas Y, and it's a 25 minute trip to the Y.  For most people, that would be a deal breaker, but I enjoy my workouts  and my social visits at the Y so much, that I am keeping my membership and trying to get there three times a week.  I am just not ready to give that up.  Also, my favorite dog park in Encinitas is out of the question.  It's just too far away.  Walking with Fran from the Lumberyard is also quite far, but we will work that out and find a more central location.  I'll say it again, location is the biggest drawback, but this is requiring me to more organized and plan my week more efficiently.  The other negative is rules.  There are lots of them, and I am trying to conform.

Overall, we are enjoying our life at Ocean Hills.  We have tickets to see The Kingston Trio next month, and we are also going to see a comedy night show of comedians from the Comedy Club in LA.  Lots of fun stuff to do without ever getting in your car.  So far, it's all good.  I'll keep you posted.  Thank you, Regina, for keeping after me about moving here.

No comments:

Post a Comment