Friday, August 7, 2015

Fennel and Hearts of Palm Salad

When I visit my kids in Boulder, we usually eat dinner at home.  Phil is a great cook, and it's easier than going out.  When I was there in late May, Phil made a wonderful dinner one night.  He marinated chicken wings (I think I've already posted the recipe) and then made  a fantastic fennel and hearts of palm salad.  He takes a wide bowl like one you might use for pasta, and layers the salad and serves it family style at the table.  Here's how it's made.

                                                     Fennel and hearts of palm salad

Shave fennel with a mandolin and cut hearts of palm in strips.  Put the shave fennel and hearts of palm at the bottom of a wide bowl.  Add chopped green olives, sun dried tomatoes, marcona nuts, and shaved parmesan.  Top with the following dressing.

lemon juice, champagne vinegar, oil, honey, mustard, shallots.  Since Phil doesn't measure as he cooks, I can't give the specifics of the dressing.  The lemon juice and champagne vinegar would be about 1/3 of the liquid and the oil would be 2/3 of the liquid.  A little honey, mustard and shallots will complete this delicious dressing.  Drizzle on top of the salad and wait for compliments.  Everyone will love this.  It was a great summer meal with barbequed chicken wings.  I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment