Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Five Months At Ocean Hills And I Feel Great

It's hard NOT to fit in at Ocean Hills.  There are people from all walks of life, all religious and political affiliations, and with over 60 different clubs, there's bound to be something for everyone.  It's a matter of putting yourself out there.  That's exactly what I've done.  It's taken five months, but I finally feel at home.

I start each day with a short walk with my favorite four legged friend, Pepper.  He starts nuzzling me around 6am, but I never get out of bed before 6:30.  We take a 20 minute walk, and during that time, probably make 4-5 stops to visit with other dogs and their owners, or say hello to the many neighbors I now know by name.  Next, I usually go to the pickleball courts to play for an hour or so.  I just love the game, and find that it's one of the best ways to meet people.  There is often quite a group of players, so when you're not on the court, you get to know the other players.  I like it so much that I find myself giving up a morning at the gym in favor of pickleball.  I still get to the gym at least twice a week, try to boogie board once a week, and play bridge once a week, so you can see how busy my mornings are.

If I still have energy in the afternoon, I head for the golf course.  It's right outside my door, and most afternoons there is no waiting, just go out and play.  We have a yoga instructor that comes to the village twice a week, and if I've got the energy, I may go to her class.  Otherwise, around 4:30 each day Pepper and I walk over to the dog park, where he plays with Carley, his new best friend, and many other adorable dogs, while I chat with dog owners and catch up on village gossip. (there's plenty of it).

Evenings are for parties.  With over 60 clubs in the community, there always seems to be a party.  Ron and I go to Nubees once a month.  It's a chance to meet new people in the community.  Everyone is looking for new friends, so the atmosphere is nothing but friendly.  Last week we went to the Racquet Club party, which was great fun.  Dinner, dancing and great music made this a wonderful evening.  Next week we'll attend the Doo Wop party.  More food, music and dancing.  If it's not a party night, it's either a bridge night or night in the hot tub.  Everyone is so friendly in the jacuzzi.

It's just a matter of putting yourself out there and giving it a little time.  Five months in, I have a few new friends and LOTS of acquaintances.  I even started a new group with some of the new people I've met.  My visits to Del Mar and Solana Beach have become less,  and that's a big negative for me.  However, Fran and I have not given up our Saturday walks, and I'm still getting to the Y twice a week.  Who ever knew that retirement living was going to be so hard?  So many choices, but I'm loving it!


No comments:

Post a Comment