Friday, August 21, 2015

Is It Too Hot To Walk Your Dog?

On a visit to Phoenix I was surprised to realize how hot the ground was.  Asphalt or cement were both too hot for me to walk barefoot, something I do often, when taking Pepper out for a short walk. So how do you know if it's too hot for the pads of your dog?  Although they walk on them all the time and can withstand rocks and uneven ground, they're not used to extreme heat, and if it's too hot, the pads of their feet will burn, just as yours would.

I saw a recent article where I learned how to tell if the ground is too hot to walk your dog.  Take your hand, and with the back side on the ground, hold it there for 5 seconds.  If you can do that, your dog is good to go for a walk.  If not, keep him inside, or walk on dirt, grass, or woodchips.  This information was from a veterinary hospital, so I assume it is accurate.  Anyway, it's a good way to measure whether it's safe to walk your dog on concrete or asphalt.  If you can't stand it, chances are, your dog can't stand it either.  We don't want to burn those pads, that's for sure.  Just a handy little tip for all you dog owners.  To me, there's almost nothing more important than keeping my dog healthy and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment