Friday, September 18, 2015

Gender Reveal Parties Are All The Rage

When I was pregnant, my friends threw me a shower.  Nice lunch, gifts for the baby, a game or two, then we all went home.  Well, parties for the pregnant mom (and dad) have come a long way.  The next evolution involved dad as well.  Showers were for couples, not just the mom.  Parents had couples over for a lunch or dinner, gifts for the baby, maybe a few games, and everyone went home.  Fast forward to the 21st century and the new gender reveal party.  Here's some of what you might find at such an event.

Here's the first story I heard about such a party.  A pregnant woman went to her doctor with her best friend, to be given the news on the sex of the baby.  She decided not to find out at that time, but to have her best friend get the information, keep it secret, and plan a party to reveal the sex of the baby.  The best friend planned a party with a cake, that when cut into, was either pink or blue, depending on the baby's sex.  I heard this story two years ago.  A gender reveal extravaganza in 2015, is complete with games, favors, and a Pinterest board.

The trend for such parties has exploded in the last year.  The reason, say some, is that in hard economic times, people are looking for something to celebrate.  Mostly however, we can thank social media for the uptick.  After seeing videos online, everyone wants to get into the act.

I'm not going to go into all the ways one can celebrate.  I think you get the idea, and you can go to UTube and see some of the parties.  Or go to Pinterest for hundreds of ideas.  Would your kids or grandkids choose this type of celebration to reveal the sex of their baby?  For me, it's a little over the top.  In fact, I'm all for waiting until the birth of the baby so everyone can find out the exciting news at the same time.  However, this is the 21st century, and I guess we shouldn't expect anything less.

No comments:

Post a Comment