Friday, September 4, 2015

Hyperthermia: Hot Weather Hazard For Seniors

The recent spell of heat and humidity really knocked me for a loop.  I fear that there is more to come, as September and October are usually our hottest months.  Yes, we've got air conditioning and it helps somewhat, but unless I want to run it 24/7 the house still heats up.  When we get our solar, in about a month, I will run it as much as necessary to keep the house cool.

Hot weather and outdoor activity for seniors can lead to tragic consequences.  Hyperthermia is the general name given to the variety of heat-related illnesses.  The two most common forms of hyperthermia are heat exhaustion and heat stroke, the latter being the most dangerous and requiring immediate medical attention.

Health factors can increase one's risk of hyperthermia.  Some of these risk factors include: poor circulation or inefficient sweat glands, high blood pressure (or people on a restricted salt diet), inability to perspire (often caused by medications including diuretics, sedatives and tranquilizers), being substantially overweight or underweight, taking several drugs for various conditions, or drinking alcohol.  Lifestyle factors may also increase one's risk.  Some of these factors include:  unbearably hot living conditions, lack of transportation (to get to a mall or place to cool off), overdressing, and visiting overcrowded places.

Heat exhaustion is a warning that the body is getting too hot.  The person may be thirsty, giddy, weak, uncoordinated, nauseous and sweating profusely.  The skin is cold and clammy.  Salt supplements may be required, but only with advice from a doctor.  Heat stroke can be life threatening.  Body temperature can be above 104 degrees, and the person may feel faint, with a strong rapid pulse, and lack sweating.

Of course the best advice is to avoid getting to the point where you are exhausted or showing symptoms of heat stroke.  Stay inside, drink lots of water, rest, and most importantly, stay out of the direct sun.  I played pickleball on one of the hottest days in August which was not a great idea, but so much fun I couldn't resist.  I was constantly drinking water to stay hydrated, but even so, I was not sweating and I knew I should stop playing.  I did stop, long before I got to a dangerous level, but in retrospect, I never should have played in the first place.  I felt tired and lethargic all week during the extreme heat, and the old saying, "Listen to your body," rings true.  If you don't feel well, don't push yourself.  I promised myself I will remember this as we face September and October, and probably a lot more heat.  Stay safe and don't push yourself in this extreme heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment