Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Moon Cookies: A Blast From The Past

Growing up, I have fond memories of baking with my mom.  She was not really much of a baker, but she did make wonderful brownies, snickerdoodles, lemon bars, and moon cookies.  We called them moon cookies, but they are more commonly known as Mexican wedding cookies.  We would bake them on a Sunday afternoon, then freeze them, and dole them out as special treats.  I recently had a little party at my new home.  I decided to make cookies for dessert.  I made white chunk macadamia, snickerdoodles, and moon cookies.  They were all delicious, but Carolyn loved the moon cookies, so I told her I would post the recipe.  The cookies freeze well.  I always make extras, keep them in a cookie tin in the freezer, ready for unexpected occasions.

                                                              Moon Cookies (Mexican wedding cookies)

1 cup butter, softened
1/2  cup white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. water
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Combine butter and white sugar and beat until well blended.  Mix in water vanilla, and baking powder.  Slowly add flour until blended, then add chopped almonds.  I chopped the almonds finely in my Cuisinart.  Do not over chop, or you will end up with almond butter.  Refrigerate the mixture for a few hours, until dough is very firm.  Then, roll cookies in your hands like a snake and shape into crescent shapes.  Be sure there are no cracks in the dough or the cookies will break when cooked.  Leave a bit of space between cookies, as they spread a little bit because of the baking powder.  Cook at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.  Do not let them get too brown.  In fact, they should just be turning brown when they're done.  Let them cool.  Finally, roll in confectioners sugar.  Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment