Monday, August 1, 2016

Aging: Focus On What You CAN Do, Not What You Can't Do

In the past year I really feel old.  Up until my 70th birthday I could do just about everything.  I would boogie board, go zip lining, do strenuous yoga, take step classes, long walks and hikes.  I was game for just about anything.  On my 70th birthday we moved to Ocean Hills, and I've been feeling my age ever since.  It's not living here that has aged me, as most people here act much younger than their chronological age.  One thing that has changed for me is this.  I used to go to the Encinitas Y every day to work out.  I don't do that anymore, and although I do a lot of physical exercise, I just don't feel the same.

It's easy to focus on what I can't do anymore:  I haven't been boogie boarding in a year, I would never attempt a step class, I take  a more gentle yoga than in the past, and my walks are shorter than they used to be.  Besides this, my hip hurts one day, my back hurts another.  Advil is my best friend.  I look at Ron, who has many limitations that he didn't have even a year ago, and admire how he has tried to continue to do everything he did before, but slower and with more difficulty. He can't play baseball anymore, but he can exercise in the pool.  There are many things he can do, and he tries to focus on them.

It's so easy to fall into the mentality of focusing on what you can't do.  I used to go, go, go all day without a rest.  Now, I need an afternoon nap.  I used to do a lot of gardening, bending and pulling, but not anymore.  I can do a little gardening, but  I just can't overdo it.  I used to love playing 18 holes of golf.  Although I can still do that, I prefer to play 12 or 13 holes.  I'm tired after that.  I can still do most everything, but not as fast, not as intense, and not as often.  Fortunately I have discovered pickleball, a racquet game that can be played well into your 80's.  I love it and it's something I CAN do.

Aging is a process, and each year brings new aches and pains, new challenges.  I plan to keep active, both physically and mentally, as long as I can.  Focusing on the positive, what I can do, should he to keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment