Friday, August 19, 2016

My New Favorite Lunch

Several months ago I discovered a new product at Trader Joe's, beet hummus.  It is delicious.  Frazier Farms also makes beet hummus, but the Trader Joe's product has more garlic, and for me, more flavor.  I'd been using it just as a dip for veggies and pita chips, until I started using it in sandwiches.  Here's what I've been eating several times a week for lunch for the past few months.

For the bread, I use either pita pockets or any of the whole wheat wraps.  This is the base for the sandwich.  I spread about 3 T. beet hummus on the pita or wrap, then add the following:  sliced Persian cucumbers, sliced tomatoes, chopped lettuce or kale, chopped Greek olives and any other vegetable I'm trying to get rid of.  I top it with a sprinkle of Feta cheese.  (I made the mistake of buying a big box of Feta at Costco, and this is a great way to use it up).  For a final touch, I drizzle a flavored balsamic vinegar on top.  Right now I am using grapefruit balsamic vinegar, which I purchased at Baker and Olive.  I prefer the lemon flavored vinegar, but this is nice for a change.  It's a messy process to eat this wrap, but it's sooo good.  Another great healthy, satisfying summer lunch.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment