Friday, September 1, 2017

Great Food At Himalayan Kitchen

Tucked away in a shopping center in Encinitas is Himalayan Kitchen.  It's in the Sprouts center, at Encinitas Blvd and El Camino Real.  It is delicious.  Every month or so Audrey and I get together for coffee or lunch, and catch up.  We always enjoy seeing each other and moaning and groaning to each other about the world situation.  We also like to eat, so we've been trying to try different places each month.  Audrey is a vegan and I'll eat anything, so we try to go to vegan friendly restaurants.  Himalayan Kitchen was just that.

There's a nice aura when you walk in the restaurant.  The owners and all the help are from various Himalayan countries.  (Nepal, Tibet, etc.)  They are helpful to newbies like me, and explained many of the dishes to me.  I ordered the lunch special for $7.95.  I selected two curries, served with rice, naan and lentil soup.  What a bargain.  I had panner tikka masala, a homemade goat cheese cooked with special tikka masala which was absolutely delicious.  I also order the chicken curry, good, but not as good as the panner tikka masala.  The rice was delicious, lentil soup with thick and chunky and delicious.  Audrey had the Himalayan vegetable soup, loaded with a variety of vegetables and seasoned with Himalayan spices and herbs.  She also had daal tadka, a mixture of lentils and vegetables with herbs and spices.

This restaurant is not just for the vegan or vegetarian.  There are chicken, fish, lamb and goat dishes, and an endless array of vegetable dishes.  Everything can be ordered from mild (no spice) to very hot.

Himalayan Kitchen is a great place to try if you want to experience some new flavors.  I just loved it.  It's open for lunch and dinner.  I will try it again soon.  The meal was so filling I wasn't even hungry for dinner.



No comments:

Post a Comment