Friday, September 22, 2017

Wolfstein Sculpture Park in La Jolla

I'm not sure how I discovered the Wolfstein Sculpture Park in La Jolla, but I'm sure glad I did.  I just took a group of women on a docent led tour of of some of the dozens of sculptures at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, spread over 30 acres.  If you haven't been there, I urge you to discover this hidden gem.

Carol Mosley was the coordinator from Scripps who arranged everything, and actually led our tour.  She was so knowledgeable, telling us about all the artists, and really giving us interesting background.  Ralyn and Nathan Wolfstein began the sculpture park in the early 1990's, by donating 5 pieces in honor of their 50th wedding anniversary.  From there, he has added sculpture to the park, and now has over 40 pieces at Scripps Memorial.  Nathan Wolfstein feels that art is important in healing, and by having sculpture around the hospital, both patients and their families can benefit from the healing power of art.

I took a group of Newcomers to the sculpture park and they all loved it.  Afterwards we went to the Sheraton La Jolla, and had a fabulous lunch at Humphrey's Grill.  This is the sister restaurant to Humphrey's in San Diego.  The food and presentation were outstanding, and I urge anyone in the area to try it for lunch.  I can't vouch for dinner, but I do know they have music several nights a week, an added bonus.

Wolfstein Sculpture Park is definitely a place to take out of towners.  They will see something most native San Diegans haven't seen.  I was given a self guided map by the volunteer office (in the main building on the lower level), so get that if you plan to take your own tour.  Take a look on line at the Wolfstein Sculpture Park website to see what a treat is in store.  I hope you enjoy it as much as our Newcomers group did.

No comments:

Post a Comment