Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Why Do Seniors Lack The Energy They Once Had?

Hot summer weather reminds me of my age.  I'm lethargic in heat, either dry or humid.  I used to go about my day doing everything I normally did, even on the hottest days.  Now, at 72, I'm reading about the protein Lon protease, and finding out one of the reasons why I lack energy.  Lon protease declines as we age.  As cells age, they lose the ability to mobilize large numbers of Lon and can't endure the attack of invading oxidants.  Lon protects the mitochrondria, tiny organisms in the cell that convert oxygen into energy.  With the reduction of Lon, this process is less effective.

What has not yet been discovered is how to turn this around.  Researchers at USC have been working on this, and will hopefully come up with something to give seniors the youthful energy they once had.

I still believe that diet and exercise contribute to an active, long life.  I was talking with someone recently, who told me that since she started playing pickleball several times a week, her lower back pain was gone.  I think it's all the bending over to pick up the ball.  I have noticed the same thing!

My days have always been active and busy.  For years I have gone to the gym every day, first thing in the morning, after Pepper's 20 minute walk.  I've changed that routine for a variety of reasons.  I now take Pepper on a 20 minute walk, then play pickleball  for 1 1/2 hours.  That's not as strenuous as one hour at the gym.  I also find that I need a rest in the afternoon.  I usually lie down for a half hour late in the day.  That refreshes me enough to get through the evening.

We have to listen to our bodies, and not push ourselves.  We need to accept that we can't do at 70 what we could do at 60, and that's ok.  Keeping one's body and mind active and engaged is one important key to longevity.  If those damn Lon protese proteins wouldn't decline we'd still have that youthful energy.  Oh well, we do the best we can with what we've got!

No comments:

Post a Comment