Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Do You Have FOMO?

FOMO is an achronym for Fear Of Missing Out.  I was playing a round of golf with my friend Carol, who first mentioned FOMO to me.  You've got FOMO if you feel you have to do everything.  Are you constantly running from one activity to another without  a breather?  Do you cut short a party to rush to another party?  Do you take a trip to a new city and spend your time seeing everything that the city has to offer, rather than enjoying many sites in the city and saving the rest for another day?  If any of these are you, then you might have FOMO.

Fear of Missing Out is not a medical diagnosis, but it's a great description for the person who is afraid they might miss something.  Years ago, on one of our first trips to Europe, I ran Ron ragged.  He couldn't figure out why I felt I had to see every site, visit every museum, take every tour.  He kept saying that we were on vacation, and that he should not come home exhausted.  He said we didn't have to see and do everything.  It would still be there when we returned.  Oh, boy, was he right.

I know people that spend their day running from one activity to another.  Pickleball in the morning, hike in the afternoon, tennis in the late afternoon, and in between a trip to the pool, lunch with friends or attend a meeting.  When the day is so full, and one is racing from one activity to another, do you really enjoy anything?  I'm at the stage in life where I want to "stop and smell the roses."  That doesn't mean that I don't want to do anything.  Quite the contrary.  It's just that I now have an inner voice that slows me down.  I do not have FOMO, but I know plenty of people who do.  I think they would like to slow down, but are unable.  I say "take it easy."  Give yourself a chance to reflect on life and the enjoyment your activities bring you.  It's ok to miss some things.  Enjoy what you do.  You don't have to do it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment