Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Great Lunch At The Compass

I had an enjoyable lunch with my friend Karen at The Compass one cool, Friday in May.  We've known each other for years, but never seem to get together that much.  I jumped at the chance to spend some time with her, and I think we both had a great time.  On her recommendation (she'd heard it was good from others), we went to The Compass in Carlsbad Village.  It's right in the shopping center on the corner of Coast Highway, next to Jamba Juice.  I got there a few minutes before noon, and by 12:15 the place was hopping.

It's a bar/restaurant, with lots of local beers, and lots of high top seating in the bar area.  Around the perimeter of the restaurant are may 8 booths, where you would probably want to sit if you are dining, rather than just drinking.  We had a wonderful lunch, and I look forward to a return visit, as there were many things on the menu I want to try.  I had the tempura crab salad for $16.  Fresh bibb lettuce with a delicious dressing, like thousand island but with a little kick, topped with most of the ingredients for a cobb salad:  avocado, egg, olives, fingerling potatoes, tomatoes, and about 5 pieces of tempura crab.  It was delicious.  I would definitely recommend it.  Karen ordered the cervice with fresh fried tortilla chips.  It had mango, corn and tiger's milk in it, in addition to the more conventional ingredients.  Excellent.  The menu has mac n cheese, beef burger, lamb burger, caesar salad, clams, and so much more.  If you're shopping in old Carlsbad and need to stop for refueling, The Compass is a great place to do so.  I couldn't believe how busy the restaurant/bar was when we left around 1:15, mostly drinkers, but some diners too.  Give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment