Monday, February 24, 2020

The Best Lemon Icebox Cake Ever

I  was looking for a good, easy dessert for a luncheon I had in January, so I called my mom.  I knew she'd have something for me.  She had two old desserts that she used to make in the 1970's, one easy and one hard.  I opted for the easy.  Boy, was it easy.  From start to finish it took less than 15 minutes to get into the oven.  Here it is.  Everyone raved about it.  I have made it several times and I get raves from everyone.

                                         Best Lemon Icebox Cake

1 package ladyfingers
5 eggs, separated
1 can sweetened condensed milk
Juice of two lemons, plus rind of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 small container heavy cream

Take one small springform pan and line the sides with ladyfingers, split, with rounded side facing outward.  Beat egg yolks, add milk, lemon juice and lemon rind and blend.  Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks, add cream of tartar.  Then fold egg white mixture into egg yolk and milk and lemon mixture.  Pour into springform.  (batter will be like a souffle).

Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn off oven and keep cake in over for 1 hour.  Remove from oven and allow cake to cool completely.  I do this part on day one, then finish with whipped cream the following day.

When cake is completely cool, beat heavy cream until stiff, add a little powdered sugar if you like, then top the cake with the cream.  You can complete  the cake all the same day if you want, but be sure the cake is cool before adding whipping cream.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment