Monday, February 3, 2020

The Joy of Walking

Fran sent me a funny article recently on walking.  I laughed as I read it, but then started thinking about how wonderful walking really is.  You can do it anywhere, anytime, no equipment needed.  You can do it at any age, until you can no longer walk. 

Fran and I have  been walking together for almost 20 years.  I used to live in Del Mar, she lived in Solana Beach, and we would meet regularly, maybe three times a week, usually for a beach walk.  There is nothing better.  When I moved to Carlsbad and then Oceanside, we continued to walk, but only once a week, and changed our regular location to Encinitas, where we again enjoyed walking the beach.  As time went on we had knee replacements, general aches and pains and other commitments that made getting together sometimes difficult, but we made it happen more often than not.

Walking is good therapy, whether with a partner, group or alone.  We walk and talk about just about everything.  We get good advice from each other too.  No therapists required for us!  I walk my dog everyday too.  We have a 2.3 mile loop around our community that I walk all the time.  I think, plan and just enjoy the beauty of Ocean Hills.  I also listen to books and podcasts.  I get a lot of audio reading done while walking. 

Recently I've been having lots of back and hip pain, but walking helps.  Just 20 minutes of walking and my back and hips are stretched out and I feel better than had I taken a pain reliever.  Walking clears your head, gives you a chance to be alone with yourself, think, plan, dream.  It's a remedy for much of what ails you, both physically and mentally. 

Tomorrow Fran and I will walk at Moonlight Beach.  It should be sunny and 75 degrees in the middle of winter.  How lucky we are.  We will chat about family and friends, plan future fun things to do together, then find a place for lunch.  You want to know where to eat in Encinitas?  Just ask me or Fran.  We have tried them all, but usually end up at The Taco Stand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment