Monday, March 30, 2020

I Can't Think Of Anything Else!

For the past few weeks I have sat down several times to write a blog.  You know I like to keep the topics varied and informative, but right now I'm having trouble doing that.  The only thing that comes to mind is the Covid 19 virus and what we're doing about it.  So, I have not written much lately, but I want you to know I'm still here and thinking about staying in touch with all of you.  Here are a few thoughts I can share with you.

Taking the advice of the science and health professionals is the best thing you can do right now.  Stay home!!!  I got a call from friends yesterday who wanted to bring dinner over and spend the evening with us.  NO!!!  The only person coming in our home until further notice is Dan, our caregiver.  I go to the supermarket once a week during senior hours, but I am considering ordering groceries on line.  Other than that, and a once a week trip to a drive thru for lunch (In and Out), then eating in the parking lot, is all we are doing. 

A friend sent me an e-mail this morning, trying to put our self isolation in perspective.  Anne Frank and family hid in a 450 square foot area and could not make any noise, for over 750 days.  We can all do this!  And her family had no telephone, Netflix, or other devices to keep them busy. 

Thank goodness for Zoom.  My lunch group is meeting on Zoom this week, in place of a great meal at a restaurant.  We will all have a great time, eating our peanut butter sandwiches or yogurt and just having fun.  Our Newcomers group is planning our first on line book club meeting, which I can't wait to attend.  Newcomers will also have their general meeting as a Zoom meeting, which should be fantastic.

The bridge club that we play at in Phoenix has organized an online bridge game every afternoon.  Just like being at the bridge club, same people, same competition, but you can compete in your pajamas.  That's something I also plan to try. 

So what else are people doing?  My friends who used to sit by the pool and sunbathe everyday have set up beach chairs in their driveway, brought the dog's bed out to the driveway so the dog can be with them, and they sit there in their bathing suits all afternoon. 

Several people from our dogpark have arranged walks, usually just two or three people at a time (in order to keep our distance) everyday.  This is a benefit to humans and canines alike.  Others I know are going on Facetime and reading to their grandchildren, or helping grandchildren with their homework.  My gym has set up virtual exercise classes, where you can go on line and take a class with your favorite teacher any time you want. 

I'm exhausted from keeping so busy! Next time I blog I will talk about some of the psychological effects of social distancing, and how I am coping.  We are all in this together, and we will all get though it, if we stay strong and follow the advice of professionals.  Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment