Monday, January 31, 2022

Breaking Bones

Just when you least expect it, your life can change.  I was enjoying a morning of pickleball last week, went for a backhand shot, my shoe stuck to the ground while my body kept going, and boom, I was flat on my butt.  I used by left hand to ease the fall and knew immediately my wrist was broken.

 Wonderful friends helped me up, got ice, and eventually got me to Scripps Urgent Care.  In short order they x-rayed my hand and confirmed the break, then wrapped me up in a soft cast, and sent me home.  Thank you Marcos from Uber.  He was there for me in 3 minutes.

And things were going so well.  My rotator cuff has been healing nicely, and I was back to playing pickleball most mornings at a pretty good level.  But accidents can happen anywhere.  I could have taken a bad step off the curb or tripped over a sprinkler, or any number of other things, but i didn't.  It was pickleball, so I must evaluate the risks/rewards of playing  while I heal.  

I adhere to the philosophy that you should live each day to the fullest, and that's what I have always done.  But I do have to consider whether this is still the right activity for me.  I could be caught in a random shooting at the mall, or killed in an auto accident today.  In fact, getting injured in a car is probably the most dangerous thing I do everyday.

So as I heal I will consider all the pros and cons of continuing to play pickleball.  I let you know in about 8 weeks what I have decided. 

No comments:

Post a Comment