Wednesday, January 26, 2022

I Love Lorna's Italian Kitchen

 I took my lunch bunch to Lorna's Kitchen in December.  It's a small, very traditional Italian restaurant in a strip center in University City, on Governor Dr.  We went on a rainy day, and we were the only ones there for lunch.  Our very efficient waitress explained many of the dishes to us, and helped us order.  For six hungry women, we ordered three pasta dishes, a large caesar salad, and dessert.  We ate every bit of it, including several baskets of warm, crusty bread.

The highlight of the meal was the tagliatelle with bolongese sauce.  The sauce was not quite what any of us were expecting, but it was absolutely delicious.  It had spicy sausage, veggies, and a bit of cream.  Even our resident Italian, Regina raved.  We also had a baked mostaccilli with lots of ricotta cheese and rich marinara sauce.  The lasagna was light and oh so good.  For dessert, four of us ordered the homemade pistachio  ice cream.  The ladies were sick of hearing me rave about it.  I had it a few years ago, and always remembered how good it was.  It is loaded, and I mean loaded, with fresh crushed pistachios and I think just a hint of chocolate bits.  Two other women order the dulce de leche ice cream, which they also loved.

Lorna's is a casual restaurant in a strip mall.  Nothing fancy, but it is some of the best Italian food around.  If you find yourself in the neighborhood, drop in for lunch or dinner.  Or, even if it's a bit of drive, I think you will find it worth the trip.  We drove 40 minutes, and would do it again tomorrow.  I'm so happy the five women I took were happy.  They're a tough crowd, so I really have to keep on my toes to find, good, interesting restaurants month after month.  I do love doing it, and of course, sharing the meal with some of my favorite people.


No comments:

Post a Comment