Monday, January 9, 2023

Altitude Effects On The Human Body

 I spent a week in Colorado in November, and for the first time, I felt the effects of high altitude.  I'm not sure why, but when I didn't feel well on my second day there, I knew why.  I have been there many times before, and never felt sick.  I was walking around Costco one day with David, when I told him I didn't feel good.  I was dizzy, and my vision was unfocused.  When I got back home, I decided to read up on the effects of altitude on the human body.  Here they are

Reduced physical performance.  Anyone working out, riding a bike, or just going for a walk, must adjust to the high altitude before doing anything physically challenging.  If you go to Colorado to sky, it is important to give yourself and few days to acclimatize.

Psychological effects.  Altitude exposure may change you senses, mood and personality.  Your vision and taste can be effected.  Most of these changes are temporary.  

Dehydration.   This is very common at high altitudes, so it is important to stay hydrated.  Dehydration can cause perspiration, increased breathing, sweating and vomiting, and decreases physical performance.

Tobacco, alcohol and caffeine are products to avoid at high altitude.  Tobacco smoke interferes with oxygen delivery to the body, alcohol impairs judgment and perception, and caffeine may improve physical and mental performance, but should be consumed in moderation.

As we age, changes, like the effects of high altitude, are more pronounced.  I sure felt it on this last trip.  My vision was blurred, I felt unsteady on my feet, and I felt nauseous.  Be careful of altitude and if at all possible, plan time to acclimate to the change when you get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment