Monday, January 30, 2023

U.C.San Diego Park and Market


 How do I find out about some of the articles I blog about?  Sometimes in the craziest way.  I received a magazine in the mail in late December that I almost threw in the trash, before noticing it was addressed to Ron.  I have pretty much stopped getting mail for him, so this caught my attention.  It was a magazine called Octagonian, and is a publication of his fraternity from college.  It recognizes achievement by members of the fraternity, and there are many.  (Sigma Alpha Mu).

The name David Guggenheim caught my eye, and I noticed he and his wife Clare had gifted $1 million to U.C. San Diego to build  a 225 seat theatre to be used to present diverse cultural events, as well as be configured for music, theatre, lectures and conferences.  

UC san Diego Park and Market is a multipurpose four-story venue in the East Village of San Diego.  It is a social and intellectual hub for civic engagement, learning and collaboration.  What a great addition to San Diego, and I didn't even realize that I'd actually been there.

Several months ago Regina, Barbara and I went to see a documentary about Horn and Hardart in San Diego at a 58 seat theatre operated by Digital Gym.  I'd never heard of it before, but was impressed with what I saw.  Digital Gym shows independent and foreign films, has virtual speakers and other multimedia experiences, made possible through a partnership with Qualcomm Institute at the Jacobs School of Engineering.  A gallery space, education and conference rooms and computer lab are all part of the Digital Gym.

So, thank you to Sigma Alpha Mu for sending me a copy of the magazine, Octagonian, and thanks to Dave and Clare Guggenheim for donating to improve the cultural community of San Diego.  Park and Market is an addition to the diverse community we live in, and help thousands of residents grow and learn.  Check it out and see what might be there for you.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment