Friday, January 13, 2023

Have You Ever Eaten A Guava?

 I don't think I'd ever eaten a guava before a woman brought a bag of guavas from her tree to our Tuesday night bridge game.  I took a few of the fragrant fruits, and then had to decide how to eat or use them.  It's a pink-fleshed fruit, maybe the next super fruit.  The problem, as I soon found out when I cut into one, is what to do with the seeds inside.  They're not chewable, they're small, yet hard, so I had to keep spitting them out.  My friend Kannon said to blend the fruit in a Ninja (seeds will be chopped up), then use the pureed guava pulp to make margeritas.  That worked out just fine, after adding a bit of sugar, they were delicious.

Here are a few facts you might not know about the tropical fruit, guava.

1..They contain four times as much vitamin C as an orange.

2.  Guava is used, in some form or other, to treat fever, constipation and diarrhea, high blood pressure, and dysentery.

3.  An average guava takes 2-8 years to grow to maturity.

4.  There are about 150 varieties of guava.

5.  Young guava leaves are boiled to make a tea to cleanse wounds.

6.  The lifespan of a guava tree is about 40 years.

7.  There are between 100-500 edible seeds.

8.  The origin of the guava is unofficially Central America or Southern Mexico.



No comments:

Post a Comment