Monday, July 13, 2009

Boulder Weekend




I spent the past few days in Boulder, Colorado, one of my favorite places to visit not only because my son Phil, and his wife Deborah live there, but because it has so much to do that I enjoy, and a philosophy of life that I love.

The reason for my visit was twofold. First, Phil's business, Phils Fresh Foods (http://www.philsfreshfoods.com/) is in the process of rebranding and expanding with a new name, Evol Burritos (http://www.evolburritos.com/). Their new offices in the foothills of Boulder have just opened, and they had a big party to introduce everyone to their new brand and the creative young men and women who are making everything happen.

Second, Phil and Deborah are expecting their first child in a few weeks, and I went to attend the baby shower, hosted by Deborah's sister, Leslie.

The weather was hot and steamy in Colorado, due to unexpected thunderstorms. We spent one morning walking along the creek in Boulder, and watching kayakers come down the rapids. It was a great way to keep cool.

We also spent several hours at the Boulder Farmers' Market. I am really into farmers' markets now, and have recently been visiting them wherever I go. The Boulder Market is one of the best in the country. I think the local outdoor markets are becoming a way of life in many communities. The locals have built in a visit to the market as part of their weekend routine. Everyone seems to know everyone else, so there is a definite social component to the outdoor market. Families, many with several small children in tow are enjoying socializing with friends and farmers, tasting the local fruit and produce, and watching food demonstrations. Of course the fruit, vegetables, herbs, baked goods, organic meats, chicken, eggs, and flowers were the freshest, most delicious ever!

One observation I have regarding the attitude of the young people in Boulder, compared to the thinking of yougsters in Southern California is that the youth in Boulder are all very conscious of the environment, composting and recycling are something they learn and practice almost from birth, and they make many life choices after weighing how their choice will impact the environment. We as adults are trying to change our traditional thinking, but if the next generation is made conscious of how they impact the environment from an early age, it will then become part of our way of life. Change really takes several generations to become fully implemented.

This was a wonderful weekend. I think from now on I will include a visit to the local farmers' market as part of my visit to any new city. Cities like Portland, Austin, Chicago and several places in New York all have great farmers' markets that I can't wait to visit. And of course the highlight of my weekend was seeing Phil and Deborah, and how happy they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment