Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What to do With Eggplant


My garden is growing. I have tomatoes all over the place, many different varieties and colors. I also have squash, which is not doing well. The yellow squash is very small, and the patty pan squash is doing nothing. However, my Japanese eggplant is doing great. I don't have many recipes for eggplant, but the one I will give you here is a winner. I started making this about 20 years ago when I had a big vegetable garden in my backyard and had to find some way to use the eggplant. This was perfect, as it is low in calories and can be eaten as a condiment with lamb or chicken, or just eaten as a snack. I hope you like it.

Japanese Eggplant Salad, Asian Style


  • 4 Japanese eggplants, medium size

  • 2 T. rice wine vinegar

  • 3 T. soy sauce

  • 1 T sesame oil

  • 1 T. minced ginger

  • 1 T. minced garlic

  • 2 scallions, chopped

  • 1 T chili paste with garlic (optional)

Cut eggplant into strips, about 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches long. Steam for about 15 minutes, until eggplant is tender. Drain and cool. Saute the garlic and ginger with the sesame oil, then add remaining ingredients of the sauce. Add the sauce to the eggplant, and marinate mixture for several hours or longer before serving. Mix the remaining ingredients together in a saucepan, add the cooked eggplant, and simmer for 5 minutes. Store in refrigerator. It will keep for at least a week, if it lasts that long. It is delicious cold, as a snack, or serve as a condiment with lamb or chicken. Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment