Monday, July 27, 2009

Why Take the Bus?

I lived in Los Angeles most of my life, and I can honestly say I didn't take the bus more than a handful of times, and that was when I was very young. When we first started coming to San Diego for summers in the 1990's, we would usually stay at the Hilton in Torrey Pines. My husband and I were into long, strenuous walks, and we would often walk into Del Mar and back, about eight miles, with one crazy hill. Well, we got lazy after awhile, and decided we would walk one way and then take the bus back. That was when I first discovered how great the bus is. For 50 cents (at that time) the bus would take me to within a few feet of my destination, and I got to ride on a clean, uncrowded bus. When we lived in Del Mar and for a time only had one car, I took the bus often. I could ride to UTC in 15 minutes, without having to search for a parking space. It was great. Cheap, safe and friendly..

So we moved here permanently, had two cars and I no longer took the bus. The California way is to have one person in each car. What a waste. Just check out the freeway and you'll see what I'm talking about. Well, a few years ago gas prices skyrocketed, and I again started to think about the bus. I now live in Carlsbad, and the bus is just a three minute walk, so I started taking it occasionally. It went right down the coast to Solana Beach and Del Mar, where I was often going. Great money saver. I also used the bus to go to the Encinitas Fair, Carlsbad Fair and Moonlight Beach. Great way to avoid parking problems as well.

So why am I writing about this? Because today I am taking my car up to Oceanside to get new brakes, and I will probably be without a car for a day or two. I checked the bus schedule and discovered that there is a bus to bring me home, and there is another bus that can take me to Solana Beach later today. I always think of the inconvenience of NOT having a car, but it really isn't so bad. It just takes a little more time to get from place to place, but it also gives you time to relax and enjoy the scenery, listen to music or read, and enjoy living in Paradise!

After writing this blog, I discovered thatthe towns of Encinitas, Leucadia and Cardiff by the Sea are running a pilot program until Labor Day, September 7. It's a coast shuttle, that makes 11 stops between Leucadia and Cardiff, day and night. It is intended to promote movement between the three coastal communities without creating traffic congestion. I will definitely check this out. The shuttle runs on bio-fuel that has been converted from used vegetable oil. It is an extension of the city of Encinitas' Greening our Community efforts. I'm up for that. Go to www.leucadia101.com to check out the schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment