Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom


Today is my mom's 86th birthday. I wish you all knew her. She is amazing, and I hope I'm doing half of what she does in a day when I'm her age. Besides playing bridge twice a week with some wonderful women, some in their 90's, she does many other things. She takes a history class at UCLA every week, she leads a group of women on art tours around Los Angeles once a month, she belongs to a book club, and she counsels several senior citizens on how to manage their money, how to live alone, or whatever problems they might encounter. In her spare time she helps my niece Alison, who has just moved to Los Angeles. She takes her shopping every week and helps her with whatever she needs.

In addition to all of these activities, she has season tickets to the symphony and theatre. She goes to the movies almost every week too.

No question, my Mom's life is what I strive for. No complaints about arthritis or bad knees, no looking back. She enjoys everyday and is thankful for the life she has. And when one of her friends is in need, my mom is the first one there. Her lifelong friend Charlotte just lost her husband last week, and my mom was there to help the family with whatever they needed. She is a friend indeed.

Mom just got her license renewed for another five years, so she will continue to drive to Carlsbad to see me. It's great that she can still be so independent.

Mom adopted an adorable three year old chiuhuahua-daschaund named Captain about nine months ago, and has been working hard to train her. She took her to dog class, and works with her all the time. Except for her barking when people come to the door, she's a wonderful dog, and a great companion.

So here's to you, Mom. Wish I could be with you on your birthday, but we'll be together in Boulder for the weekend and celebrate then. Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment